White Fly & Mealy Bugs

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Ben, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Ben

Ben New Member

I've been experimenting with pest control methods over the past couple of weeks, and most with limited success.
    My egg plant has been over run by mealy bugs and white fly, very frustrating! :frustrated:

I've tried:
    Home made white oil - seems to clog up the leaves even at low concentrations causing slow growth or death of plants

Naturasoap - minimum dilution over most plants - reduced numbers of white fly by 20% initially but came back strong within a couple of days. Zero effect on mealy bugs. left white residue all over leaves

Seasol - works well in high concentrations, but leaves the plants sticky and with poor growth.

Methylated Spirits - best by far as it kills almost on contact, but seems to dissolve the chlorophyll out of the leaves. :mad:

Anything else I can try? :confused::confused:

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Hi Ben, I get best results with garlic spray, molasses, Dipel, Seasol...... not all at the same time.
    I rotate the use of them.
    Nothing is totally effective.
    I find that Spraying has to happen a couple of times a week or the bugs get a go on.

I think that bushboy has the best solution to the problem. He has screened his entire garden in with that "bird netting" mesh. (from the B store)
    The egg laying moths cannot penetrate the netted off area. They have very erratic flight paths and therefore cannot make it through to do their egg laying.

3. dufflight

dufflight Member

I have one egg plant that is a breeding ground for white fly. I use the same stuff as Murray. And if you can give the plant a going over with the garden hose it seems to drown a lot of them. I keep meaning to try spraying the AP water over the plant. A lot of insects don't like micro activity on the plant eg dipel bacteria.

4. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Mealybugs are attracted to plants with high nitrogen levels and soft growth. Commercially available beneficial insects, such as ladybugs, lacewing and the Mealybug Destroyer (Cryptolaemus montrouzieri), are important natural predators of this pest. Use a hose to blast a strong stream of water to reduce pest numbers. Washing foliage regularly will help discourage future infestations.

also...

Mealybug Destroyers (Cryptolaemus montrouzieri) are originally from Australia, and are one of the oldest and most successful of biological controls of Mealybugs. They were used in California to control the bug in Citrus.

These bugs are now sold from the USA!

http://www.naturescontrol.com/mealybugdestroyers.html

You may be able to find a local supplier.

Attached Files:

5. Ben

Ben New Member

Thanks for the ideas.
    Will make up some of those sprays and give them a blast over the coming weeks.

Just looking at Bugsforbugs and found that they have the ones that Castaway is talking about and some other bugs which will kill white fly and tomato russet mite that killed all of my tomatoes last year.

Might be a good hundred bucks to spend to ensure crop survival!

Will keep you posted!