PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (Country)

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (State/Region)

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (City)

Tilapia in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Lee, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Lee

Lee Moderator

Just went for a walk with the family around Forest lake, Queensland. As i looked into the water i was positive i could see Tilapia swimming around. Is their anybody there who can verify this?

So if someone gets caught with a tilapia the fine is like $300,000. doeas that make the council of that area in lots of trouble? ;)

2. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

SSH dont tell anybody but yes they are there

3. Keith2

Keith2 New Member

I think the fine is only $150,000Whistling and yes they are also in the Sommerset dam and with all this flood and water around I guess they will be everywhere.

But as fishfood said Shhhhhhh don`t tell anyone

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Yes, they don't exist here in Queensland. It has been declared to be so by the officials.

5. qwarla

qwarla New Member

To date no one has ever been prosiquted and probably never will. The law is meant as a deturant to anyone that may want to take fish to stock a new location.

Strance thing the same law is in NSW. When my wife went for a visit to Sydney she came back saying about lots of restraunts displaying signs advertising their Tilapia dishes.... so explain that one

6. qwarla

qwarla New Member

Murray is correct. Tilapia are so easily confuzed with that new spicies, "The Qld Perch" :(
    The officials call them a 'pest fish' and they may be. But they are a good quality fresh water fish to eat.

7. spraycanart

spraycanart New Member

Tilapia.

Hi,

I would like to know how they got there. They have been on the Banned list now for over 20 years.

Tilapia are extremely dangerous when it comes to our local endemic species.
    As are the Europe Carp. Tilapia have been found were there use to be
    Australian Rainbow Fish. The Tilapia Survived the Rainbow fish did not.

Tilapia in a natural habitat will eat anything it can fit into its mouth.

European Carp, They have almost destroyed the native Murry Cod to almost
    extension.

Please good people if you see Tilapia in streams ponds or rivers Please report
    the fish to the DPI. Thanks.

Just a foot note here if you no longer wish to keep your fish for some reason
    give them to some one or try and return them to where you bought them.

Never Never return them to the wild.

Regards, Barry,

8. Murray

They got there, most likely, by people tipping them into the creek when the Gov in it's wisdom put a 130 thou fine on their possession.
    People who had them (aquarium hobbyists) got scared and got rid of them into the creek. They were brought into Aussie legally as an aquarium fish for a long while.

They are actually everywhere around the Brisbane area and they will now be spread into every creek and waterhole as a result of this latest flood.

I feel the authorities ought to encourage their capture and consumption, it may go a long way to reducing their numbers. Make fish cakes, pellets and fertiliser if nothing else.
    It makes no sense to go on pretending they don't exist when they are just everywhere around SE Qld, and most likely up north as well.

9. kellenw

kellenw Member

Short of poisoning (rotenone or similar) an entire body of water, it's pretty difficult to reduce tilapia numbers once they are established unfortunately. Even rotenone fails much of the time, and kills native fish right along with the invasives.

We have all kinds of problems like this in the US. The two most publicized are probably the bighead carp invading the Great Lakes, having traveled up from a stocking in Arkansas and the Snakehead establishing in the Potomac from a single guy who supposedly released just two of them after purchasing them for food originally from an Asian market. These two invasives will impact the native fish populations, local ecosystems and commercial fisheries in ways we don't even quite know yet... but it likely won't be in a good way.

10. Benno

Benno Member

In another light the same could be said of such introduced species as trout.

11. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

I agree with Murray on this one. Make it legal to catch and consume Tilapia in Australia. I have fished for Tilapia here in Brunei. They are easy to catch by the bucket load. Tilapia are a good eating fish. they are delicious smoked.

We might not be able to wipe the fish out altogether in our waterways but reducing the numbers is possible and why waste a good eating fish.

12. orcy2010

orcy2010 Guest

It only took fisheries about 20 years to make it legal to actually be in possesion of dead carp, so perhaps in 20 years, the same will be true for Tilapia

13. Benno

Benno Member

DaveO, what do they taste like?

Talk about taste, why is it that the carp here tastes terrible? Does anyone know? Having experienced the smell of sludge from the floods, I wonder if that is a clue.

14. orcy2010

orcy2010 Guest

I think you hit the nail on the head. bottom dwellers living in muddy bottom rivers, eating other bottom dwellers that eat mud...

15. Benno

Benno Member

But they do this everywhere else in the world... seem to be good eating elsewhere, does that tell us something about Australian rivers?

16. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Super Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep!... most australian rivers have muddy bottoms!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  17. Mantis

Mantis New Member

With the extent of the flooding they could well make it into the murray darling system as well eh

18. Murray

I have no doubt Mantis that Tilapia will find their way south as far as water temps will allow them to survive.
    They are already on their way. Every river in SEQ has burst its banks in the last 3 or 4 months so Tilapia have been distributed far and wide that is for sure.
    It will be the most prolific "non existent" fish in Australia very soon.

19. Shortie

Shortie New Member

Caught in ipswich just this week

Attached Files:

20. Murray

Gee, mate...what are they ?
    Brisbane Perch ?

Good eating ?