1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Rain!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lounge Area' started by bill newton, Jan 10, 2011.

1. bill newton

bill newton Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Wamuran
    since jan 1 we've had 477mm - most of it in the last 48 hrs -- the road to wamuran is under water - we're ok - on top of a hillWhistling
    my chooks have turned into ducks -- poor sods
    i'm not allowed outside - being a pom - i'm allergic to water!!!! drinkanim
    all that lovely fresh water just running out to sea -- we need HUGE dams up north -- then pump it all south following the rail line - sydney - melbourne - adelaide
    water control is the key -- another snowy mountains scheme!!:genius:

carna pies -- 2011 - year of the magpie!!!

2. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

We had the power go off yesterday from 1.30pm all the way to 10 at night. I only used a generator on the fish tank for an hour (tank ran dry) but the fish are all fine. I think it's the action of raindrops falling on the water surface that are doing all the aerating. The fish tank has had so much rain that it has lost that golden colour tinge to the water. Roads are flooded everywhere on the Sunshine coast. Definitely sick of the rain. Chooks look like drowned rats but laying eggs like crazy...despite a visit to their nesting box from a six foot carpet snake on Saturday.

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yep, so much fresh coming into the fish tanks....the fish are loving it....but the plants are looking the worse for wear.
    Looking at the radar yesterday I reckoned you were copping a pasting Frank......well now it has moved down here.
    It is just bucketing down.....

4. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Yes the rain is easing off a bit up here now as the weather pattern slides down the coast to Brisbane and Northern NSW. Expect some flooding in Brisbane from stormwater backing up into streets...

5. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

what the hell is going on down there.?...we've been following it on the net.....
    unbelievable.....!
    Do you guys have rain every year at this time ...?
    We're experiencing a drought in my aea.....I live 30 miles from the 10th largest man made lake in the USA...called toledo bend lake and its down about 20 ft.....
    send some rain our way...
    We're all thinking about ya...
    Bluegill

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi Bluegill,

They are copping it big time up in Queensland,I particularly like the Sunshine Coast around where Castaway lives, actually, the Gold Coast is pretty good too, normally.Looks like these floods they are having now are going to be the worst on record.It is normal for them to get lots of rain this time of year,with the occasional cyclone,I think you guys call them hurricanes, but no where near that much rain.

Mean while we are on the opposite side of the Country,down South. and it's dry and hot, as usual for this time of the year,by comparison, we normally average approx 22 inches of rain a year,which is approx 550 mm they have had that since new years day!

We are thinking of you guys up there, keep us posted.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  7. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Hi Bluegill. The answer is in Bill's first post.

God has had enough of unwashed Poms and is sending a deluge to flush them all out and give them a good wash! :D The solution to your drought in America is easy. Import more poms like we do in Australia. Problem fixed.

8. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Super Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Don't tempt fate (or Murphy)... you'll be 3/4's of the way through building them and an extended dry cycle will kick in, the govt will stop the funding for the dams and divert the $ to building De-sal plants. :D

9. Keith2

Keith2 New Member

Rain! Tell me about it ,Maleny has hit a new record, we are flooded in at the moment and we live on a mountain.

The house is ok but our road has a creek crossing which we can`t cross and then I think its cut further up as well.

Still can`t complain all our fellow Queenslanders out west and up north are doinin it tough our thoughs go out to them.

My wife and I are part of the community recovery team for QLD and are at the moment on standby waiting for flood waters to go down, just waiting to see what part of the state they will send us to.

Tried to do a bit on the system today in between showers managed to get one grow bed filled with 20mm gravel.

10. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

11. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Told ya it was gunna be abig one... and to battern down the hatches.... ;)

12. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Our turn (NSW) this week...

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Ha,

Can't help but to notice,you Queenslanders still don't wear shoes, not under any circumstance, I reckon that's customary along with going to bed with the birds and waking up with them.

Cheers.

14. bill newton

bill newton Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Wamuran
    rain!!!!!!

a little girl on the sunshine coast runs inside screaming "Mummy mummy come quick!!"
    "Whats wrong darling" her mother asked anxiously "What is it?"
    "There's a big warm yellow thing above our house!" came the tearful reply
    "Thats all right darling" smiled the little girls mother - "Its only the sun!":(

carna piesdrinkanimdrinkanim

ps - its gone again!!!!!

15. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Should have added... Victoria will get a pasting as well...

16. Keith2

Keith2 New Member

Its only the what?

I`ve heard about those things. :rolleyes:

17. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

18. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Should start easing around lunchtime Wednesday Frank.... you should even see the sun by Thursday...

19. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Good amateur footage of the flood damage in Toowoomba

[YOUTUBE]9Do0LvsdXIU[/YOUTUBE]

20. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Just heard that 9,000 homes are meant to be inundated tomorrow when the Brisbane River is expected to rise another 3m on top of an expected king tide. Reports on SkyNews say that water has already breached Coronation Drive the main strip adjacent to the River. People are evacuating the city...Public transport is canceled... Could be worse than 1974 Brisbane Floods...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ns-to-spill-over/story-e6freon6-1225985251560