1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Orlando Aquaponics Conference -

Discussion in 'Notice Board' started by Murray, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    No worries Steve, Last year we held seminars in Oceanside and Denver. Maybe next year we will get back to the west.....

2. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Email just in from a person named Chris which is a good take on just some of the benefits of the formation of the Aquaponics Association.
    I feel this has been well put. There is much concern here in the USA re Gov interference in the activities of gardeners and small scale farmers of all types.

3. Wendy in BC

Wendy in BC New Member

the politics of AP? Yikes!

4. gazzawatson

gazzawatson New Member

Hello everyone. I have been prompted to join up to make some comment about the Conference. I saw some ill informed comments on another forum so I joined there to hopefully correct some incorrect information.

I want to say how much I enjoyed the presentations from your Murray Hallam. A most entertaining and knowlegable speaker. We had such a good time at the Conference. Can't wait until next year which I hear may be held in Denver. I sure hope Murray will come again and bring a few more Aussies with him.

5. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

Maybe some Government regulation is necessary/inevitable as AP becomes more mainstream.

While I am not advocating for this, I can see the day when our backyard AP system will need to be surrounded by a "pool fence" to prevent kiddies-drunken Aquaponicists drowning in fish tanks and I can see mandatory installation of pumps & electricals/inspection by licenced electricians/AP technicians.

Dave

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Beleive it or not, this is already happening in my area Dave,

Cheers.

7. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I feel there is lots of positive things that an Association can deliver.
    One thing discussed today is the nutritional value or otherwise found in AP grown food. Small thing I suppose, but it is a question often asked by newbies who want some assurance that spending money to start a new hobby will pay dividends in regard to food purity and quality.
    Low cost research into this would be a positive delivery to members and the community at large.
    The one that came up over and over at the conference was the need to develop a viable set of recipies for non fish by product based fish food...stuff that could be made at home or by a local collective of members to supply themselves with fish food. Very important for long term sustainability.

8. Wendy in BC

Wendy in BC New Member

Murray, I certainly like the idea of "viable recipes for non fish by-product based fish food", and we've discussed this in the past. Shaun has been working in that direction.

Although I have to say that I do agree with John's assertion that commercial feed has been developed over decades of reasearch, and provides the nutrition the fish need to thrive in an AP/AQ environment.

I don't see a quick fix here, but research on alternative feeds would be a great start. Hopefully Shaun will report his progress as tilapia are probably a good species to test out new feeds.

9. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

Yes, I agree with Murray & Wendy's comments. I have just switched from a Marine Food marketed for Grouper (Made in Taiwan) and sold at $33/15kg bag to a Tilapia Feed Pellet sold at $27/20kg bag and made in Malaysia.

With both products, I have no idea what is in the food, apart from the percentages of Fat, Vitamin, Fibre etc stated on the bag.

I would much prefer to make my own but for the number of fish I keep, it is not practical. Tilapia and Koi, by and large are easily catered for, but I would prefer to see and know exactly what goes into the feed.

Dave

10. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Actually Wendy...Tilapia, in one sense... is the worst possible fish species to select... in another sense... the perfect fish...

Perfect... because it is so widely spread and prodominant in many countries...

Worst... because Tilipa can be sustained on a near vegetarian diet.....

Sadly... any such recipes are almost totally inappropriate for virtually all Australian fish species...

11. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Here is a small system built into the back of a shopping mall in an outer arear of Orlando. Not too sure where it was exactly, but there somewhere. Situated on a very narrow strip of bitumen about 4m wide and 25m long. Back wall of the shops on one side and a high fence on the other.
    This system is situated in a very low economic area and the produce grown is given away to the local families.
    There is the floating raft section seen here and along the other wall is a series of media filled tubs. Also, along the boundary fence of the car park there is planted a number of banana trees together with some regular dirt garden plots.
    A really great community project. Sahib (the owner) is a most enthusiastic , community minded man.

Attached Files:

• AA7.jpg
      AA7.jpg
      File size:
      77.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Just got back today. Jet-setting around the world is hard work but someone has got to do it. Just ask Kevin Rudd.
    Here's a photo of Tim Mann from Friendly Aquaponics (left in black hat) who was teaching a three day workshop on floating raft and two good looking Australian guys who were invited to attend and bestow their inestimable knowledge in all things media aquaponics as they call it over there. (Actually I just shut up most of the time and let Murray sign autographs and pose for photographs - which seemed to be enough to keep most people happy) and sit back and learnt all sorts of interesting stuff - even odd stuff like Polynesian boat people and ancient methods of ocean navigation using their testicles to guide them. Nope I didn't make that bit up...(Murray might explain that one for the bewildered...:D)

It was a fantastic event and it was terrific to finally meet Sylvia Bernstein and Gina Cavaliero whose farm we visited for the training. Americans are very gracious, polite, tolerant and optimistic people. It was a pleasure to meet so many interesting AP people including an Australian who flew all the way from Sydney. I couldn't believe the number of people who attended "A Morning with Murray" as it was termed. Can anyone spot Murray (photo below) in the crowd?

Remember when Elvis would leave the building after a rock concert? Well when Murray crept into the room, the speaker who yell into the microphone "Murray Hallam has just entered the room!" to thunderous applause...

Thats what it was like - but Murray wouldn't alway play ball. When someone yelled out "We Love You Murray!" well - Murray had a quick retort. He'd yell back "A Heckler! Security - throw that man out!"

Americans just love that sort of stuff.

It was a hard job getting his swollen head back onto the plane but we squeezed him in...By the way the Aquaponics Association has been ratified and Murray is Chapter head for Australia. He could have have been World President if he wanted it but he declined. More later...

Attached Files:

13. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Castaway has just posted on his blog a report on the Aquaponics Conference in Orlando...........Go HERE

14. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

ahh ecofilms = castaway lol took me a while to catch on :p Love the shorts, had a pretty good laugh :)

15. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    This one just cam in so it is worth posting....I reckon.

Comment by Sahib Punjabi on September 27, 2011 at 5:19am

Thank you sincerely Frank Sir,
    I was humbled by such Pillars of Aquaponics as Murray Hallam, Tim Mann, Susan Friend, many others including yourself visiting my small Aquaponics research farm. I have really been so inspired by your camera work and knowledge of the whole "growing food" world, the ease with which you capture on film and lat millions worldwide experience and learn is just Magic.

I have for some time reflected on how wonderful it would be to have your knowledge and assistance in helping me capture on film my small Aquaponic farm and the vision of incorporating the whole growing cycle with the numerous methods of "growing food" so as to help educate that Aquaponics is only a few letters in the alphabet...even if they are the key letters - live voules,it needs to be used with other letters so that we can write a sentence and then a whole story on Sustainable Growing of food.

Your visit not only was so humbling for me but it also hopefully started the first stem of my dream in getting you to film my small system. God willing, you will be able to help me document on film as I venture further in this world and essential way of life. I have sent you a friend request so that we can discuss and see if this is possible.

Thank you & God bless,

Attached Files:

16. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Phew! For a moment there I thought he said "Pillock of Aquaponics..."
    :trout:
    Just an observation. Anyone who suffers from depression or poor self esteem should book themselves to a AP Conference in America.

You will come back a changed man - or woman...and insufferable to all those around you for a few days!
    :D

17. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

While Murray and I were in Florida we met Sahib Punjabi and took a look at his system that I believe he said he setup in February this year. Now this is located in a shopping centre and built in what would have possibly been a narrow service lane. Look at the transformation and what he's done with plumbing in a very small narrow space.

[YOUTUBE]1Fepe8HTrC0[/YOUTUBE]

Sahib got the AP bug big time and built four different systems all powered by the same 60 watt pump!
    Now that is being thrifty!
    He also gives most of his produce away and has built a conventional garden system in the car park. Hows that for inspiration? Sahib is a member here. I know 'cause I got a PM from him the other day...If you want to know more - check this link out.

18. Mr. Mik

Mr. Mik New Member

Hi, my name is Mik and I'm an aquaponic....:(

19. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Sylvia Bernstein, says,
    Had a great 4-day visit with Gina Cavaliero, my awesome best buddy who run Green Acre Organics and is the Chair of the Aquaponic Association. Sigh...guess I got to get back to work now...

[​IMG]

Sylvia and Gina are just a great pair of ladies. Each posses a great deal of energy and apply it very well to their businesses and to the Aquaponics Association.

20. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    This is a good point and there is much that can be researched , for another example, a renewable fish food, which will be of direct benefit to everyone.