1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

NFT question

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by tpilk, Sep 7, 2012.

1. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

I recently posted on another thread that I am using an "NFT" technique for starting seeds in my GB's. Works great, but I'm struggling a bit on the plants which are to remain in the NFT system.

What's going on is that my roots are not developing into the nice, long root systems I see in photos of other NFT systems. My plants are strong and healthy, but the roots barely emerge from the pots. This requires a high water level in the NFT tubes, which compounds the problem. What I believe the problem to be is this - I think the plants are getting all the water they need and so they aren't developing longer roots. I have considered starving them a bit for water, but I thought I'd put it to you all to see how you get those nice, long roots.

I am talking strictly leafy greens in the NFT system and it's small, just a 36 hole experiment really.

I'd appreciate anything you have to share.

2. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Drop your water just a bit Tpilk.... not too much, because you're hot over there... and the plants could wilt, or drop off rapidly....

I'd do it late evening... and see how they're holding up by lunch time...

If they are... then see if, over the next couple of days... the roots have grown downward at all...

3. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

Thanks Rupe - I'll give it a go.

We're in rainy season now and I'm actually draining water off the FT's every couple of days, rather than adding make up water like usual. So, we're getting a fair amount of cloud cover - this should be a good opportunity to try it.

One thing that baffles me - in both NFT and raft system pictures I'ver seen, the plants still develop nice roots, even though in constant submersion...Could it be my climate or possibly the local lettuce varieties?

Not sure if this is related, but in the GB's, some varieties will occasionally get "leggy" and long, rather than fat and full like they do in the NFT system.

4. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Don't know about your local lettuce... but most lettuce prefer cooler conditions.. especially around their root zone...

NFT is known to attract lots of ambient heat.. due to it's sheer surface area... this, plus heat transferance to the root zone... can often cause bolting, and/or bitterness.. on its own...

5. Walks-In-Storms

Walks-In-Storms New Member

Here we go again (have we ever stopped, even slowed....?). "NFT" - Never Forgot Trudy?" Never F------ Tried? Newts Floating Together? Nitrification, Fornication, and Tyranny?

With all due respect, what in hell is so difficult about typing three words? By now, I should think it clear that this is very annoying to me, and a least a couple other, and I really would like to know what you're talking about (in the past, you've had some very useful things to say)

It happens, you see, that I've suffered form a kind of dyslexia since high school. Letters are jumbled, sometimes inverted, such that I've learned to identify from habit born of long practice to identify whole words (you probably wouldn't believe what a dyslexic like myself has to do to unscramble an acronym or initialism, so I won't bore you).

Come people: I know it's somehow "cool" to sling jargon and code around, but its a real pain in the ass to some of us. PLEASE?

6. SolTun

SolTun Member

Hi WIS
    AJAR is OK IMO
    cheers

7. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Walking In Storms... NFT is "Nutrient Film Technique".... the most commonly used hydroponic growing method... for decades..

Apologies... but it's become so widely known as "NFT"... that I never thought to write it out in full...

8. Walks-In-Storms

Thank you! "Widely known? To everyone widely-versed in aquaponic science, of course, which is my point (thanks for that, too). Now some of us have omething to work with, instead of having to repair to the Captain MIdnight, Buck Rogers, secret decoder ring (remember, anybody) one could only have by sending two Wheaties boxtops and a quarter - or, of course, today's equivalent, my Bill Gates, Steve Jobs I-pod, I-Pad, do-rah, do-dad, on-line rinky-dink "link."

Much appreciated. Now when I "google" or "library" (yes, I know - more code), I'll get something better than seventy-five pages of what a computer uses to guess what the hell "NFT" means.

And, by the way, thanks, too, for the civil reply.

9. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

Hi WIS,

Can't remember which site, but I once ran across a post listing AP related acronyms. Of course you are not the only person struggling with it...all new folks go through it, I know I certainly did.

The quick solution is to google the acronym alone or with AP or aquaponics in the subject line and 99% of the time you'll find something to explain the subject. The wisdom in this method WIS is that you get a little background on the technique itself. NFT is a perfect example - just for the sake of discussion, please google "NFT aquaponics" and you'll get many hits, including some youtube videos of the process in action. For discussion sake, if you googled "NFT Hydroponics" you'd get a different set of sites and more interesting information.

As much as it is a challenge for you to learn them all, maybe I'm lazy, but like many, I resist typing out "Nutrient Film Technique" multiple times in a post. I'm guessing 90+ percent of the folks (see I typed "percent" and didn't use the % key), know most, so only have to google a few here and there. Once again, I took it as a learning opportunity as I'd often browse several sites to learn more on the given topic. For that matter, I'd be a liar if I said I don't occasionally have to research something I run across on these sites, because it happens a fair amount of the time. It's an ongoing learning process for all.

Good luck and patience...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  10. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Super Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    WIS, I suggest that you are the only forum member, out of thousands, that the use of acronyms irritates so. The time and energy you have put into posts admonishing those that use acronyms, could well have been used learning the few basic acronyms that are frequently used here, as everyone else has.

A few months ago, when you first raised the issue, I posted, specifically for you, a list of the most commonly used acronyms relating to aquaponics, hydroponics and general forum terms. You could have done yourself and everyone else a favour by making a copy of that post. I incorrectly assumed that a man of your intelligence would have done so as a matter of course... especially if the use of acronyms irritates you so.

Here is a list of them again for your records WIS:

..CHOP - Constant Height One Pump

..CHIFTPIST - Constant Height In Fish Tank, Pump In Sump Tank (same as CHOP)

..AP - Aquaponics

..FT - Fish Tank

..ST - Sump Tank

..GB - Grow Bed

..F&D - Flood and Drain

..CF - Constant Flood

..SLO – Solids Lifting Overflow, or, Solids Lifting Outlet

..Amm - Ammonia

..NFT - Nutrient Film Technique

..FYI - For Your Information

..IMO - In My Opinion

..IMHO - In My Honest Opinion, or, In My Humble Opinion

..ATM - At The Moment

..PICNIC - I’ll let you Google that one yourself.

Please cut and paste the above acronyms and their meanings into a document you can save somewhere for easy future reference. Possibly posted on the wall immediately behind your computer. This will ensure that the rest of the Practical Aquaponics forum membership, that don’t seem to have an issue with the use of common acronyms, will be able to enjoy the forum without having to endure constant, repetitive rancour about the use of such acronyms.

The reason these acronyms are used, is that when describing an aquaponics system, component, or an aquaponics related process, some words or descriptions have to be used repetitively throughout the post. Using acronyms makes the posting procedure less arduous and reading of the post a lot easier.

If you had bothered to take any notice, you would’ve found that in the vast majority of situations where regular forum contributors are dealing with questions from new forum members, we will tend to spell out the description entirely in its first mention, then abbreviate it throughout the post from then on.

I can tell you that when I’m aware that I am dealing with new members, I will take it one step further to ensure the new member has an understanding of any acronyms being used. When first describing a system, component or technique, I will use capital letters then follow the description with the relevant acronym in brackets, ie:

...“The use of a Solids Lifting Overflow (SLO) would be ideal in your situation.â€

I then use the acronym from them on to make both the writing and reading of the post much easier. I recall doing this with you on a number of occasions.

Please desist from your constant rancorous posts about the use of acronyms, it has been going on for months now and has become annoying. You have stated that the use of acronyms annoys you, however, in contrast, I suggest that your incessant and unnecessary harping on about the subject and animosity towards those that use acronyms, is far more annoying to a greater portion of the forum membership.

The use of acronyms is entrenched in the forum and will not change, I suggest that it is you that needs to make the change… BABAGOI!

Thank You.

11. Walks-In-Storms

"Change" for me means either the half-hour of self-hypnotic therapy necessary to remove the "stitching" visual disturbance doctors say has to do with intensified effort necessary to sort out of my dyslexia strings of acronymic or initialized letters. Otherwise, I experience "torn" field of vision, temporary blindness, and a migraine headache (something difficult, if not impossible, to explain to anyone who has never had one).

So, I wont. Just not worth the effort. In the future, then, I simply won't read more acronyms or - since I won't know what the subject is - their context. I sit looking at this computer screen only a few minutes each day, anyway (the visual problems seem to be getting worse with age). Anyone who want to communicate with me will have to do so in complete words, in short. I don't need a migraine to go with the pain in the ass certain of us here seem determined to be. Clear?

12. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

Good morning to you too WIS.

If that's truly your attitude, then why are you wasting everyone's time as well as your own?

You certainly flop back and forth as to your desire to learn and improve. Is it one of those "waking up on the wrong side of the bed" things or do maybe need to add some fibre to your diet? They've got this amazing products for folks of your vintage....it's called Metamucil. I hear it does wonders for taming the lion.

As to your eyesight, hmmmmmm, you haven't by any chance been sprouting hair on the palms of your hands have you?

once again - good luck

13. toraman

toraman Member

Think these are actually abbreviations WIS is having problems with, they not actually anagrams (stir, stir :p).

Just thought I'd mention it as I tried to "Library" "anagram PICNIC", but had more luck with "abbreviation PICNIC" , LOL :D

14. davidl

davidl Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Brisbane
    so, WIS what about acronyms that are so commonly used that not many people actually know what it stands for or means? Like CMOS, as far as I'm aware not many people know that it is often an abbreviation of the longer acronym FETCMOS which stands for Field Effect Transistor Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor. Though technologies other than Field Effect Transistors can be used, they are normally field effect transistors.

also toraman, you may have better luck with searching for: picnic acronym

15. toraman

toraman Member

The Library function on my PC seems to work for both "abbrevation and anagram" now, haha. Perhaps the AI over at Library are onto it :eek: