PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (Country)

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (State/Region)

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (City)

New system - South Carolina USA

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by scholl, Mar 7, 2013.

1. scholl

scholl New Member

Please take a look . I just started fish less cycle. It's running a Proline Pondmaster 4800 gph water pump with a Hydrofarm AAPA110L 112-Watt 110-LPM air pump in the fish tank. I have test kits and seaweed extract. No fish.
    The sump tank holds about 180 gals. There is a swirl filter set up between the fish tank and the sump.
    The siphon is a closed loop setup inside the grow bed. Has anyone else tried this method with success?
    I still have a lot to do and a bit overwhelmed with ignorance. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Steve

IMG_1280.jpg IMG_12721.jpg IMG_128411.jpg IMG_1279.jpg IMG_12851.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Trewarin

Trewarin Member

Why not a bell siphon?

3. Scott Hair

Scott Hair New Member

Nice looking set up! I have no experience with a loop siphon but have seen a few in action. Shouldn't be a problem.

Are you planning on building or expanding this system? If not, then the pumps you have might be a bit of overkill, and use more power than required. If you are expanding the system, then you have some power to play with.

What type of media is that?

Test your water and post the results here. Post questions you have and I am sure someone will get you an answer.

Have you thought about how you are going to cycle your system (fishless or with fish)?

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Super Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Can you elaborate on this?...

What do you mean by "a closed loop set-up inside the grow bed?... what is a "closed loop set-up"?... and what is meant by "inside the grow bed"?

Cheers.

5. scholl

scholl New Member

I apologize Yabbies4me. It is not a closed loop but is a form of an internal loop siphon as shown in pic. I have a picture of mine in the original post.

View attachment 14988

6. nalu86

nalu86 New Member

how does it work? when the grow bed fils up, and the water starts flowing trough the loop, does it start siphoning and stop automatic?

7. scholl

scholl New Member

No special reason,just what I had on hand. Pipe and 2 elbows.

8. scholl

scholl New Member

Much like the bell. It is located inside the 4 inch pipe and starts the siphon when the water level reaches just above the elbows. The start siphoning and stop are automatic.

Got the idea here.

http://affnan-aquaponics.blogspot.com/2009/06/aquaponics-siphons-part-ii.html

9. scholl

scholl New Member

Scott thanks.
    I don't really know where it's going to end as far as how big. I just got a real good deal on both pumps. I will go fishless just to learn how and will post test results.

10. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

Do you have any pics of the inside of your swirl filter?

11. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

Scholl - One more question - I was looking into the Loop siphon also - correct me If I am wrong but if I have 3-4 beds all level, I can make one siphon outside all the tanks so they all fill/drain at the same time - or break it down to 2 siphons for the 4?

12. Dillon

Dillon Member

HelloTracy, you will need 35-37mm dia discharge pipe connected to two GB's assuming you are using 25mm dia connections on your GB's and 50mm dia pipe to discharge all four connected GB's, I have included a small chart to assist you in finding alternative pipe sizes if you are using anything other than 25mm pipework connections to your GB’s, please also note this chart is only for guidance in sizing pipework for small gravity fed systems.
    Pipe CSA.jpg

13. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

Thanks - I will probably go with 2 & 2 - The reason I like this is I can set them up in a row with the sump at one end, as I have a long narrow space in mind. And with ball type there can be issue with long runs - like sometimes needing a stand pipe for air to help stop the siphon.
    Again thank fo the chart - will make my job easier.

14. scholl

scholl New Member

TH- The siphons are located inside each GB just like a bell siphon. I have no experience with loop siphons outside the beds.
    Dillon is a senior member with experience using the type you mention.

15. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

Thanks - If I do decide to do the multiple on one I will post it.