PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (Country)

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (State/Region)

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION (City)

My fish are dying!

Discussion in 'Fish' started by mwestvang, May 8, 2013.

1. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    We were gone for the weekend and came home with 3 dead bluegill in the tank. We got them out and looked them over. Found cottony substance on the flanks of the fish. We had noticed white spots on fins earlier. Looks like Ich by the pics I can find on the internet. We treated with salt yesterday and had another dead fish this morning.

Any ideas?

Mike

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Mike.
    Salt treatment will arrest the problem but perhaps may not save some fish that are too far gone. Expect that some may still die.
    Sorry, don't know a lot about bluegill. If it is Ich then there should have been signs of it earlier than deaths happening, such as "flashing".
    Sometimes fungal attacks can occur because the fish is living in stressful situations such as out-of-range temperatures for extended periods.

3. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    Just fished out another dead one. This one has better definition to the symtoms. Looks like a growth on the head, gill plates and flank.

With our airstones going in the tank flashing is real hard to see. We have to shut them down to see the fish clearly.

Our temps have been a bit low but we ran a heater to keep them in range. Bluegill are supposed to be real resistant to temp changes.

Mike

4. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    We decided to treat the fish with a salt bath. Ended up draining the FT and filling with well water at 7.4 ph. Treated the fish and have put them back in the refilled tank. Will monitor their progress for a few days before starting feeding again.

I also talked to the fish farm where we got the bluegill and he said that the problem could be the food we are feeding. I'll pick some up from him on Friday when I go to get more fish. Providing the problem clears up.

Do any of you run algae eating fish to keep the FT clean?

Mike

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Super Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Mike,

Was the system completely cycled before adding the fish?
    How long have you had the fish in the system?
    If the fish have been recently added, did you match your system pH closely to the suppliers water pH?
    If the fish have been recently added, what did the Ammonia, and Nitrite get to after adding them?
    What size are they?
    What's the water temp?
    What was the water pH BEFORE you did the water change?
    What's the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings

First thing you should do when you see stressed, unhealthy or dead fish... is test the water parameters, then add sea salt to at least 1kg:1000L, or 3kg:1000L if they had signs of fungal attack or parasites.

Did the fish supplier tell you to do a complete water change?

Cheers.

6. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the fish deaths.

I had itch run through the system when my pH got really high.

I treated with Kondis Krystals (potassium permanganate).
    I'm fairly sure i read 1/2 a teaspoon per 1000L of water.

It sorted everything out very quickly. I got it early though. I only had one fish with bad symptoms, the rest were just behaving strangely.
    I treated a second time a week later.

I have about 8000L of water in my system (3500L across the tanks, 3000L in the sumps, 1000L DWC, flooded grow beds etc), and it's been very very stable, but my pH crept up from rain i think (couldn't pin it to anything else). The fish with bad symptoms is still in isolation as it still has a bad eye (not sure if it's from something else, and perhaps what made it more open to infection in the first place). The others are all back to normal and feeding well, swimming properly etc.

I'd be cautious doing a full water change on that basis though... i've found the more consistent i keep the water (ie - if i need to drain a tank, i drain to another, not send it down the drain and fill with tap water), the better everything is.

Though as with other comments, i don't have experience with Bluegill sorry mate.

Rob

7. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    Was the system completely cycled before adding the fish?
    No we rushed it a bit but the system has been cycled now for about 3 weeks.

How long have you had the fish in the system? About 4 weeks now.

If the fish have been recently added, did you match your system pH closely to the suppliers water pH?
    Pretty close but the ph has been a problem since day one.

If the fish have been recently added, what did the Ammonia, and Nitrite get to after adding them?
    We went throught the normal cycle with high Ammonia and nitrite then they dropped to almost zero.

What size are they?
    they very in size from 3" to 6".

What's the water temp?
    running at 72 degrees

What was the water pH BEFORE you did the water change?

What's the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings
    almost zero on ammonia and nitrite and 20 on the nitrate

8. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    Just checked the FT and the fish all seem to be doing better. Pretty relaxed and calm.

We'll give them a few days to get back into the routine and start feeding again.

Mike

9. RafaDD

RafaDD Member

I had also some finguerlings with the tail with cotton, I think it's Flexibacter columnaris. In my case pH level up to 8, not much plants to take the nitrate and nitrite.. a bad environment to the fish and good bacterias. Appart the salt bath I decided to isolate the finguerlings that have cotton and I put 1ml of methylene blue each 20l.