1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

How much seaweed extract ?

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Bluegill, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

Ive been putting about a 250 ml of seaweed extract in my sump every other day....my water is kinda brown/black....been flooding and draining 24/7 for about 2 weeks.....
    600 Liters of FT and 600 Liters of 3/4 gravel......havent added fish yet cause my nitrate level is still 0.0
    BTW....ph is 7.6
    Am I moving along on the right path?
    D.

2. trout

trout New Member

Hi Darryl

Just a question, Is that 250ml diluted or 250ml concentrate?

3. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

Trout...you are the man.....
    that would be........diluted.....per instructions on the jug....
    Darryl
    Aka Bluegill
    I want to be called Bluegill ....all you other guys have cool names.....

4. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Hi Darryl, I would ease off adding anymore Seaweed extract. I reckon you have plenty in there already. Just let the system settle a bit and see what happens over the coming weeks. Have you got your plants in?

5. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

Yep....plants are in....they are smal....but they arent doing anything....theyre green but theyre not dying but not growing....I guess that there are not enough nutrients.....and our ambient at the moment is 10C.....
    D.

6. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

At 10 degrees C your microbes are not going to do much either (remain inactive) until the temperature picks up a little. So hang in there. Get your pH down into the mid 6s over the coming weeks and introduce your Tilapia as the warmer temps improve. Homework is to figure out which variety of Tilapia are more tolerant of cooler temps and get that variety if your Winter/Spring temps tend to be on the low side...

7. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    What is your water temp?... most plants will stop taking in nutrient if the rootzone is below about 15°c... no matter how much nutrient there is.

8. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

night before last the water temp was 8 deg. C....
    we had a little cold snap for a day or two and the skys cleared .....the night was cold....
    thanks all
    I'll keep pumping, testing, flooding, draining, hoping, watching, looking, needing, and typing...

9. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

hey bluegill!

you should try and get some heat in your fishtank.. and try to keep it around 20-24c.. Like castaway and yabbs said.. the warmer water will get the bacteria going and also let the plants feed.. and you should try and get your pH down a bit too

hey Castaway, i'm not to positive on this but along my readings somewhere i read that the bacteria goes to work faster in the 7pH range?

cheersdrinkanim

10. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

what are you doing for a source of ammonia?

11. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Depends on the living conditions. Most bacteria grow well between ph 6-8 and good temp and nutrients supply. (Some types of bacteria will even live in battery acid! I'm not suggesting you add that! :D)

12. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

nothing.....no ammonia has been added......just plants and seaweed extract.
    no nitrates yet....still cool weather.....

13. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

Bluegill
    You do understand you will not make nitrates or nitrites with out some form of ammonia being added to the system . Either sacrificial fish ,chemicals or even wizzing in the tank but if there is no ammonia there will be no nitrifying bacteria formed to cycle your system . I prefer ammonium chloride as you do not have to kill any fish , you might have things you do not want from your personal stash and it tends to be fairly simple as there is a simple formula so you know exactly what PPM your water will be by adding so many grams to so many gallons .
    As for the seaweed I was adding 10ml per bed (4x) with 1500 gallons on the tank ,per week and the 10ml was undiluted and it has not some much as tinted the water . My plants might be a bit bigger but you really need to back off the seaweed and get some form of ammonia in there .
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

14. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

OH.........hmmmmm......
    I thought the bacteria would grow without adding ammonia.....
    stupid .....
    guess I'll drop by the fish store tomorrow...or buy some Ammonium Chloride on line....
    Thanks for the heads up...I owe you a long neck...

15. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Can you not buy Urea in granular form over there at all?... not even in small amounts from the garden centre or hardware? If you can then I would imagine it would safer, and you could use it around your garden.

You could also use Pee-ponics :D

16. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

Well, I remember from my Anatomy and Physiology classes that Urea is a waste product of your body....comes out in the urine
    I have no idea where i can buy it locally....We dont have any nursery stores in my town......We have a pet store that sells fish......but it's pretty lame...

Yabbies...why did you recommend urea and how much would I use initially?

17. trout

trout New Member

Hi Darryl

I think urea is great especially in cold weather.
    I used it to start my system although I really gunned it.
    I would only recommend one tenth of the amount I used.
    You just put it in and forget about it.

for more info see this link post 17

http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1149&page=2

As I said I threw in a heap just as an experiment and it worked.

cheers Lou

18. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

No sweat bro
    Yabbie Why do you say safer ? Ammonium chloride is what the general aquatic industry uses over here in the states . Do you know something we dont ? I tend to not say much about Pee-ponics as over here 95% of the population is taking prescriptions ( They got some real good PR guys for the pharmaco companies ) . So maybe not the best idea in my opinion . I mean man have you ever had to sit up all night with some fish coming off Prozac ;)
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

19. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Gee Mike.. I hope my fish don't get stoned.. Whistling ;)

Hey even fish food breaking down creates ammonia so through some of that in Bluegill-Darryl-Dthx123 :carrot::broc1:

20. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

OK.....I checked my water and it's flat...no ammonia....no nitrites....no nitrates.....
    so..... I ordered 1/2 KG of ammonium chloride....my local fish store has never heard of hydroponics....or aquaponics....the girl at the counter was clueless.....
    moving forward.....
    I could go catch a few bluegill and put them into the FT but they would die and I dont want to do that.....
    thanks for everyone for getting me on the right track....