1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

How much lemon juice or vinegar?

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Littlemomof3, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Littlemomof3

Littlemomof3 New Member

I need to lower the pH.... have a 75g tank its like at 8

or should I just leave it?

2. kellenw

kellenw Member

Hi Aaron,

Typically, the pH will begin to fall all by itself as the nitrogen cycle progresses unless you have something in the system that is serving to keep it elevated. Limestone gravel media is often the biggest culprit. What is the pH of your water source you are using to fill the system?

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is best if it is close to 7 or just a little below.
    It is true that it should gradually come down all buy itself, but often needs a hand in the early stages.
    It is easiest to use hydrochloric acid or pool acid to bring it down to where you want it. Small amounts, say one cap full of acid.....wait several hours and test the water again....and so on.

Use the search function to find out more about this subject, it has been covered a lot in various threads.

4. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

In a 75gall tank... 300L... I'd suggest only a couple of mils of HCL... not a capful...