Gold fish with tilapia?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Biggidaman, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Biggidaman

Biggidaman New Member

title says it all. i would like to know if it's safe to add tilapia in with gold fish and or koi fish.
    i heard some where the gold fish would kill the tilapia. ?????? thanks in advanced.

2. StarTrekTech

StarTrekTech New Member

I do know that both fish are omnivores, meaning they will eat meat and veggies. From what I've read, the trick is introducing them into the fish tank at the same size, and then culling them, or grading them to keep them the same roughly the same size. As long as they are fed well, healthy, and kept in a stable environment, they should be ok together. I also know that they thrive in roughly the same water temperature ranges. Now, I'm still a new guy, and this is just what I've found in my research... If your system is still new, or not yet 'established', I believe the long time APer's will encourage you to grow one or the other. Again, that's what I've read,and found during research, as I am still a newbie to this. Still, I hope it helps

3. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

I have had Koi and Tilapia sharing systems for years. My two AP systems are now only Tilapia, but my small pond has both.

They eat the same food and are both very tolerant of water conditions - pH, etc.

No worries if that's what you want to do.

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Super Moderator Staff Member

They may well co-exist happily...

They've proven it in parts of Southern USA... where that's about all that are in the waterways... Carp and Tilapia co-existing!

5. Biggidaman

Biggidaman New Member

Thanks I appreciate the response. I have a small set up at home. And we are building quite a large system on my dads land. I have gold fish here on mine but once we start up the other one I would like the golds to live out there. Don't want to kill them for no reason. Ya know?

6. Ralph

Ralph New Member

I started my system with goldfish..then added tilapia...they have been in the same tank for more than 6wks..no problems

7. kellenw

kellenw Member

No worries. They should be fine together.

8. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

i ran a system for almost 3 years with goldies and tilapia and they got along just fine, most fish do well together as long as you keep everyone well fed