1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaponic in developing coutries

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by maximus, Dec 1, 2010.

1. maximus

maximus New Member

I was recently in Egypt (Sharm el Sheikh, Sinai) where I am trying to develop an aquaponic system.

The advantage caused by low cost of land, electricity (0.07$kWh) and labour are counterbalanced by low price of tilapia at 1.5$ kg and vegetables (whole sale price basil 2$ tomatoes cherry 2.7$ salad 0.1$) water 2-4$ m3, and the 800$ ton cost of fish feed.
    Here the tilapia is comonly grown up to 250-350gr using aerated ponds, but I red reports indicating often a bad taste (possibly green-blue algae ingestion).

The pilot project will use either concrete tanks or rectangular pond shadowed (to prevent algal growth and excessive temperature raise). Our first estimation is that we will have a limited return on fishes unless we can sell a premium product (2.8$ threshold), but a quite good income from the vegetable portion (grown in DWC), especially in winter due to seasonal availability. If the organic market can be reached (we are waiting answers from regulatory bodies) the venture will be more profitable.

There is another possibility as using cheaper and always available treated waste water prior filtration using granular active carbon to remove heavy metals, chemicals, slow sand filtration most of the suspended solid and then treated by UV irradiation for killing pathogens.
    A portion of the water would be used as is now for the hotel water gardening (with the advantage of avoiding the horrible stinking irrigation) although bush could be superseded by basil, and other herbs (aestetically attractive , but valuable).
    The remaining water would be used in 6 ebb and flow system ( for ammonia conversion and uptake of nutrients excess before going into a reservoir with heavy aeration for air stripping of volatile chemicals. There few fingerlings would be used as device to discover any unwanted excess pollutant (killing the fingerlings but not contaminating the system). In that case a water truck could supply the needed water.

Then water will flow to the main fish tank, followed by a basic sedimentation system, and to 6 more flood and drain system (with worms to digest any excess of organic matter and then recirculate in DWC for crops.

I know that water quality is a paramount for aquaponic so my filtration system might prove unralistic, therefore if anyone spot a mistake in my idea, please let me know so I can make some change since I will go to the local University in few days. In fact using waste water prior UV and filtration in hydroponic units might be more feasible.

Cheers

2. davidstcldfl

davidstcldfl New Member

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Maximus,
    The concrete tanks will need to be coated with something to keep pH in check. See threads here re high pH on nutrient uptake of plants.

Here is a short story by a forum member who has built a system from concrete block in Thailand that may be useful to you.

There is also a thread by a member in India who has undertaken a similar project to the one you are contemplating. This may have some useful ideas for you

4. maximus

maximus New Member

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers

5. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Well welcome... and perhaps show us pictures of your "own" system....

Is it on the same scale as the well "known" one posted???

P.S.... what village in New York..... "the" village??

6. maximus

maximus New Member

Sorry RupertofOZ

I do not understand entirely your query.

The pilot project will use a 10m3 lined fish tank (Stock density to be determined depending on signing a binding contract to supply an hotel) and 200m2 DWC similar to Friendly aquaponic system, although through will be larger.
    Picture will certainly be available once the construction begin (Hopefully february)

Cheers

7. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Maximus, there was a couple of spam posts in there I had to delete that is why Ruperts post does not make much sense.

8. maximus

maximus New Member

Ok Thanks Murray!